Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

The Art Works/ Downtown Akron Partnership folks know me well. They had me a part of the Summit Art Space festivities for the Art Walk. The Summit Art Space was also the space where a vegan pot luck & Meet Up were happening, and Courtney had her living wall sculpture piece on display on the 3rd floor. It was definitely the building I wanted to be in.

The pot luck was delicious, though I had little time to eat and truly sample all the dishes. There was a spicy wonderful zucchini slices pizza (with a salsa sauce) and a rightly amazing apple pie. There were also cookies, brownies, a green bean in tomato sauce (Courtney and I made), a falafel wrap, several salads, and more than I can't recall. As I said, I had little time to really sample everything.

The set went well. Several fans stopped by from the Riverfront days and requested a few Face With a View tunes. Of course they sang along wonderfully to Hello and Chase Me Away. Then they asked for Hitchhiker Joe. And a very young girl came up and asked for Psycho Killer. For the latter, a dance troupe was in the room and was improving some great dance!

We ended the night at Luigis, where I haven't even been since the last Civic show, almost a year ago.

A second pot luck was scheduled on Sunday. This was a movie themed pot luck, and by far the coolest dish was a tempeh version of the Hollywood sign, complete with little broccoli trees! The tastiest dishes were a veggies in peanut sauce and a butternut squash dish that my friend, TM Gottl, made. Also, there was a Men in Blackberry cheezecake. I've never been much of a cheesecake person, but this stuff was really good. Good job Chad and Libby! The night ended with a fun round of Apples to Apples. I won three cards, and it's jokingly said that those cards describe you. If that's the case then I am hot, devious, and dead & gone. Though I am still very much alive & here!

Labor Day itself was a day of laboring... it seemed to be the perfect day to clean out the basement. Said chore has been on my list for a while, and so I gave the day to clean it up. And clean I did. The basement is like a totally new place! It's hard to let go of stuff sometimes. It has some sort of memory, however minor, and holds such a power that someday I'll need it again, though it's been packaged up for decades. I couldn't throw out old school papers and tests and notes, but most of the rest is now gone. Finishing an all-day task is a wonderfully rewarding experience as well. After reorganizing my vinyl and some Chinese veggies and Tofu in a garlic sauce, I had a wonderful night sleep.

During the clean out, I found several old mix CD I had made, and subsequently put them on as I worked. My favorites from the late 90's - early aughts. Neil Young's Change Your Mind, Nirvana's Lithium, several Nine Inch Nails, Our Lady Peace, Sarah McLaughlin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Doors, Bonnie Raitt, and some other tunes I have't listen much to since. All good songs still!

What are some of your favorite songs from your high school or college days?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment